lunes, 19 de octubre de 2015

THE SIMPLE PRESENT


We use  the Simple Present to express the idea that an action is repeated or usual. The action can be a habit, a hobby, a daily event, a scheduled event or something that often happens. It can also be something a person often forgets or usually does not do.

Examples:
I play tennis.
She does not play tennis.
Does he play tennis?
The train leaves every morning at 8 AM.
The train does not leave at 9 AM.
When does the train usually leave?
She always forgets her purse.
He never forgets his wallet.
Every twelve months, the Earth circles the Sun.
Does the Sun circle the Earth?



With the SIMPLE PRESENT we often use adverbs of frequency to say 'how often' we do something. 

always
frequently
generally
hardly ever
infrequently
never
normally
occasionally
often
rarely
regularly
seldom
sometimes
usually


We usually put these adverbs in the middle of the sentence, between the subject and the verb:

I often go to the cinema.
She sometimes visits me at home.
We usually drink coffee.

We can also put them at the very beginning or end of the sentence. This makes them stronger:

Often I go to the cinema.
I go to the cinema often.
But never: I go often to the cinema.

To say how often something happens, you can use a number or 'several' or 'many', followed by 'times'.( If the number is one, use 'once' instead of 'one time'. If the number is two use 'twice,' instead of 'two times') Then add 'a' and a period of time:

I go to the cinema twice a week.
She takes these tablets three times a day.
I change the sheets once a fortnight (fortnight = two weeks).
I meet him several times a year.
I visit my parents once a month.

We can also use 'every' + period of time:
every morning
every day
every Tuesday
every week
every monthA day of the week with 's' at the end (for example 'on Tuesdays') means the same as 'every Tuesday':
I take a dance class on Wednesdays.
I relax on Saturdays.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario